Author Topic: Lockdown #5  (Read 2040 times)

MR

• Valued Member
    • View Profile
Re: Lockdown #5
« Reply #4 on: 03 November, 2021, 07:47:09 AM »
We have several facebook groups for expats here in our southern VN island city of Vung Tau (pop 400,000 except on weekends when half of Saigon comes here to swim), and the snowflake expats complain ad nauseum about "loss of civil liberties" because our lockdowns are started by police in loudspeaker vans everywhere (the kids love that bit!), followed by police foot patrols knocking on every individual door and getting the residents to sign an acknowledgement that they can't go out except to pick up the plastic bags of food that are left outside the apartment building or house every morning by the police and registered volunteers (penalties for breaching the rules range from 20million VND - about $1,000 - to 12 years, repeat 12 years, in jail!).
The "shippers", as the delivery people are called, are in great demand but not allowed to charge more than $1 on top of the cost of the food for each delivery. If you get sick, you have to call a doctor and wait - good luck with that!
But our "Directive 16" (very strict) lockdown was recently relaxed to Directive 128 (everything in VN has a number!), so we can go out now - although no more than 2 at a time. Restaurants can sell takeaway food, but bars, karaoke, etc are well and truly closed (which doesn't sit well with most expats, either!).
As far as I can tell, the only people who are handling things really well are the locals (of course - they probably think it's much easier than being at war against people with guns), and the Aussie Vietnam Vets (ex-soldiers) who help to deliver food parcels to the poor.
The other expats are mostly English-speaking school teachers, so they're fairly young and really should never have been allowed to leave home - they're mostly backpackers who've done a two-week TESOL course, so not "real" teachers at all, but you'd think they were all uni professors the way they carry on about their "loss of entitlements" (in VN, of all places!).
Think I'd better stop now before I start saying what I 'really' think!  ;D ;D ;D

LeeB6430

• Administrator
  • Valued Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 July, 2021, 06:09:18 AM »
These lock-downs are getting tiresome  >:( >:(

We, the great unwashed, are being 'led' by a bunch of inept political operators  whose sole aim (regardless of political persuasion) is to get re-elected.
Their decisions are all driven by 'medical advice' given by 'chief medical officers' - quite a useful wall for the political animals to hide behind.

I am not entirely convinced that the medical experts are totally across this virus and its morphing mechanisms. 14 days incubation period seems a bit convenient to me.

Apologies, this is a bit 'off topic'.
What I am convinced of is that country of less than 30 million souls needs three levels of government. It  is time the states (and territories) were dispensed with.

Rant over. I look forward to any comments (pro or con) on both topics.

Cheers Lee

PamMcD

• Valued Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 July, 2021, 01:22:21 PM »
We are apparently free as from yesterday but most people will continue wearing masks. I vowed some time ago that I would not venture on to public transport.  Boris old foe, the vengeful Dominic Cummings, is at it again telling all.  If I was an employer I would not employ him ever.  Most people take him for what he is a chap riddled with fury at being sacked so he is getting his own back.  >:(

Outback Traveller

• View Profile
Lockdown #5
« Reply #1 on: 19 July, 2021, 12:21:20 PM »
Presently in a State-wide lockdown thanks to the Delta variant of Covid escaping into Victoria. We are restricted to within 5km of our place of residence. And there are only five reasons to be away from it: care giving, essential work, education if it cannot be done from home, for medical reasons, and to get vaccinated... The lockdown was supposed to cease any 2400hrs this evening - but has now been extended due to increasing infections. We won't find out how long it may continue, until tomorrow morning.