Author Topic: FInding People.  (Read 6042 times)

MR

• Valued Member
    • View Profile
Re: FInding People.
« Reply #6 on: 03 November, 2021, 07:58:40 AM »
I was attached to 1NZ (later 1RNZIR, I think) before 543 Tp was established. It was after I'd been attached to 2RAR, but while I lived with 2RAR full time, I only joined the Kiwis for exercises as "patrol radio support" - otherwise I was back in the 208 lines and working in the compound (after the usual post-exercise p*ss up and sing song in the Kiwi lines, of course!). Always got on really well with the maoris - they often took turns to carry me and my backpack radio to "give my legs a rest"!

LeeB6430

• Administrator
  • Valued Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 October, 2021, 09:57:57 AM »
Always with the Kiwis (543 Tp) I could, most mornings, be seen scuttling across the main road to the Kiwi lines. I was a great place to hide ;D ;D Although I have to say I did enjoy working in Tech Maint. Freezing A/C beautiful. Darryl Kajewski had them (the air conditioners) stocked with Tiger

PamMcD

• Valued Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 October, 2021, 09:48:28 AM »
I have emailed Jim Howe who was in Alpha Troop and a friend of Ernie's.  Ernie hasn't heard from him for years, he is in the South East and came to our Hexham reunion.

PamMcD

• Valued Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 October, 2021, 09:43:07 AM »
They lived opposite Sam and I on Stevenson Avenue. I fell out with him after he asked for Darryl Anderson's email address and then refused to let me give his to Darryl. So I told him off.  I never contacted him again which is a shame since he was from my home town of Dewsbury (a horrid place) and I should keep in touch with him.  I will ask Mary Waring if she knows his email address.  John Waring was with the Kiwis , I think Lee was with them as well, at some point.

MR

• Valued Member
    • View Profile
Re: Finding People.
« Reply #2 on: 31 October, 2021, 01:01:16 AM »
Gordon Firth's name rings a bell, Pam - but that could be from seeing his post on 208 Then & Now the other day. We mostly used to hang around with those we met daily in the compound or billetts, so I remember very few other than radio operators and some drivers and EDs. I just looked at the squadron photo from 1964 and recognise nearly everyone, but wouldn't have shared beers with many other than the dozen or so close mates in "our" group.

PamMcD

• Valued Member
    • View Profile
FInding People.
« Reply #1 on: 30 October, 2021, 03:06:10 PM »
I used to be friendly with John and Mary Waring.  He wouldn't allow her to keep in touch with people when they left a posting.  I found Mary on Facebook, sent a short message but I don't expect a reply.  She was very friendly with Ann and Gordon Firth who were from my home town, but I have since left it - thank the Lord.  I used to be in touch but he is rather like John W in that they don't keep in touch with old friends.  Anyway it is a start.  Gordon Firth was maybe there when you were Martin, but maybe I am wrong.