Author Topic: Emailing MB members?  (Read 2638 times)

MR

• Valued Member
    • View Profile
Re: Emailing MB members?
« Reply #8 on: 31 December, 2021, 12:28:14 PM »
Thanks Lee, you're doing a grand job and I hope you enjoy the learning curve - sooner you than me, that's for sure!

LeeB6430

• Administrator
  • Valued Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 December, 2021, 04:16:42 AM »
Thanks for that. This is a major concern. I clearly remember testing this feature along with a test of redirection of email addressed to 208admin@marsden.me.uk (the nominated Admin email address) to my normal email address. At this point it gets a bit hazy - The redirection (from the web host to me) worked fine and I actually saved the email, however I do not have a copy of any email sent to me using the MB 'memberlist' email feature.
Why on earth I would keep one email and not the other, dunno folks! So I can't be 100% certain that the feature worked. I have just done another test from the MB, using a test account, to myself. I shall see what transpires Tue 28/12. If I don't get the email, I shall have to contact One.com (web host) to see if there is anything specific, email wise, that needs to be set up, to make the MB email feature operate as advertised at their server. (SMTP numbers, credentials etc.).

Apologies for the confusion caused in the rabid rush to say 'this works, that doesn't work'. In my defense, it's a pretty steep learning curve! :'( :'(

MR

• Valued Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 December, 2021, 09:47:17 AM »
No mate, nothing received as yet - maybe Santa didn't get double-vaxxed so they wouldn't let him in! Ho ho ho!  ;D ;D ;D

LeeB6430

• Administrator
  • Valued Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 December, 2021, 01:40:42 AM »
Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it. ;D ;D

MR, did you get the test email I sent using the MB email facility??

Cheers LeeB

MR

• Valued Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 December, 2021, 11:59:02 AM »
Excellent - best of both worlds: public messaging and private emailing at the click of a mouse, what more could anyone ask for!
And I was looking for a "go back" icon but couldn't find one so tried the one in my browser (<- and -> in top LH corner) - works a treat so don't have to keep going back via the "Home" icon anymore!
Now I'm gonna look for all those posts against various members' names that show on the Members List - oh what fun! Hands up anyone who didn't guess that we don't celebrate Christmas in Vietnam so, between lack of religious festivals and Covid lockdowns, we've got plenty of time on our hands!

LeeB6430

• Administrator
  • Valued Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 December, 2021, 06:41:18 AM »
Re emails - I made a boo boo in my last post.

When the envelope is clicked the Send Email form will open. Use this form to compose and send your message.

My earlier post describes what happens when the 'mailto' feature is used within a web page.
There are several instances of 'mailto' within Pam's website, please don't be tempted to use any of then - the 'To' addresses are almost certainly incorrect. Leaving you in a 'results unspecified' situation. Rectifying these errors is no my ToDo list.

LeeB6430

• Administrator
  • Valued Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 December, 2021, 06:23:01 AM »
The Chair recognises The Honourable Member for (in) Adelaide.

Thank You Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms Speaker (notice how the distaff gender has 3 honorifics while MMs (Mere Males) are limited to 1 ;D ;D

I thank The Honourable Member for (in) Vung Tau for question. Always nice to get a question to which an answer can be supplied.

Sending email using the Message Board, is really easy - Print this post for future reference.

Go to Message Board,
Login using username & password,
Mouse Over 'Members' ', (in the first menu, the horizontal one in the top section of the Hello page) and click 'View the memberlist' in the drop down menu,
The Memberlist will be displayed
Click the envelope to the right of your intended recipient's username - your default email client (the software that is normally used when you send/receive emails) will open, complete with your recipient's name/email address, in the 'To' field.
Compose your message and click 'Send' - Job done 8) 8)

If there is no envelope to the right of the username then the user has elected, during the registration process, not to receive emails.

If screenshots are needed to make life easier, just holler.

MR

• Valued Member
    • View Profile
Emailing MB members?
« Reply #1 on: 22 December, 2021, 03:16:38 AM »
Don't know about anyone else, and it's maybe an indication of my being a "boomer", but I like email for the ability to directly target those people you specifically want to talk to with a particular message. Wouldn't it be great if we could do the same thing from this MB, ie chat away on this forum but, if the situation arose (as it sometimes does when we get 'sidetracked'), just send an email to a smaller, more relevant and interested audience for the newly-introduced subject matter.  Or even to just email specific members about something we just thought of while browsing the MB, but don't think it will interest everyone.  Or maybe the Zuck et al have already invented something like that but I just don't know about it yet?