Author Topic: Global Energy Prices  (Read 2499 times)

MR

• Valued Member
    • View Profile
Re: Global Energy Prices
« Reply #8 on: 14 March, 2022, 01:00:22 PM »
Not sure what you mean by '5K', Terry, but it's (coincidentally?) the symbol used by the VN gov't for their nationwide campaign reminding citizens of the five main things they need to "Do" to minimise exposure to Covid: Do wear facemask, Do wash hands frequently, Do disinfect surfaces, Do maintain social distancing, Do leave home for essential purposes only. And now the Omicron variant is ripping through the country top to bottom (Hanoi's getting near 30k new infections daily, with Saigon now also on the increase - which is not good for us because the Saigonese use our beaches for their weekend relaxation and no one wears a mask while swimming!).  I suppose it will all end soon enough, but then we'll have to worry about NATO vs Russia with China lurking on the sidelines. What on earth did we do to deserve all this!!!

Terry W

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 March, 2022, 03:21:17 PM »
Last year were not allowed 5 K this march cant afford to travel 5 K |||

MR

• Valued Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 March, 2022, 11:03:14 AM »
I shouldn't have said anything about the Russia/Ukraine stoush probably affecting energy prices because that comment has now truly come home to roost! We've managed to get our vaccines and well underway with Sunny's visa application so we can go downunder during Sunny's end of school year holidays June/July (2 years overdue thanks to Covid travel bans), but today we learn that Biden & Co's (good, imo) decision to ban Russian oil will have an immediate roll-on effect on airline prices - just as they were getting back down to near post-Covid normal! Big question for us is now whether we'll be able to afford to fly the three of us downunder this year, anyway! And if not, can we somehow get all our affairs in order after more than two years of neglect? (not to mention cleaning the apartment in Sydney - it must be like a rubbish tip by now!). Things like utilities, phone services, health cover, postal services, etc are in a shambles now, and even our bank won't talk to us anymore - demanding that the changes we need to make to keep our accounts operating properly can only be done by presenting in person at the bank, despite our being stuck here in VN ("Sorry sir, bank policy")! Aaaaarrrrggghhhhhh - where's 007 when you need him!

MR

• Valued Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 February, 2022, 01:16:49 PM »
Late breaking news(!): Insane petrol price increases in VN are bringing the country to a standstill - with supply chains well and truly broken because operators can't afford to fill their trucks, leaving shelves empty. And nearly everyone in VN owns a motorbike - they're an essential part of every household for everything from taking the kids to school, transporting food home from the markets (a daily chore when lockdowns are eased), weekends away, etc. Few if any VNs walk anywhere - they even go to the corner shop on the motorbike - and that includes us. Now our plans for this weekend in the countryside to celebrate our 19th wedding anniversary have been put on ice because even if we could find enough petrol to get the three of us there and back on the bike we couldn't afford to buy it! Welcome to 2022.............

MR

• Valued Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 February, 2022, 04:12:03 AM »
I dunno how they charge in Singapore but it might be the same as VN, ie one price per month regardless of how much power we use - because if we use too much and overload the system it just turns itself off (which happens at least 2 or 3 times a week on average - with blackouts/brownouts lasting up to 24 hours).  So maybe safest to explain to Simon and his wife that you have to pay per kW of electricity (or however you're charged), because they might otherwise not realise they're sending you bankrupt!

PamMcD

• Valued Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 February, 2022, 10:09:53 AM »
Simon on the other hand doesn't seem to kmow how it will affect them in Singers.  When I am there I spend much of my time switching off lights. They don't have gas only Electricity. While he was here at Xmas he left lights on all the time.  I have got him into not staying in the shower for ages and ages because I am on a meter. One year when they bother were here for 2 weeks my direct debit double, and I had to pay that for a whole year.  I watch what I use in the water, gas and elevtricity.  I am dreading August when they will both be here showering every day,washing thir hair every day and meanwhile my bill will go up and up.  Am I being a mean mother and mother in law?

MR

• Valued Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 February, 2022, 02:01:21 AM »
Nice timing, Pam - yesterday's news headline downunder was one of the biggest energy suppliers, Origin Energy, announcing closure of it's coal-fired plant a massive 7 years before it was required (or expected) to do so! Cynics say they made the surprise announcement because they didn't want to follow in the footsteps of another energy supplier, AGL, which earlier said it would close but was persuaded by the government to continue (with the gov't quietly 'subsidising' its losses). Not sure what's behind it all (apart from the usual mismanagement with senior execs filling their pockets), and perhaps a kowtowing to public opinion in our new snowflake world ("We must protect the environment even if it kills us"), but with at least a third of Europe's gas coming from Russia, the brewing stoush over Russia's apparent intention to invade Ukraine can't possibly help in that part of the world!!!
Meanwhile, in Vietnam, any power shortage will doubtless get treated with the usual aplomb: the authorities just turn all our power off for a few days!!!  ::) ::) ::)

PamMcD

• Valued Member
    • View Profile
Global Energy Prices
« Reply #1 on: 17 February, 2022, 11:28:43 AM »
I am totally shocked with what is going to hit me, regarding charges, from the 1st April.   Using my trusty spreadsheet curtesy of Lee, my monthly out-goings will be £239.50  Enerygy will make up £2250.50 of that so I also have to factor in Mobile and Broadband.  How on earth will the really poor people cope with these increases.  I am luck that I don't only have my state pension but I have a small company pension and an even smaller annuity.  I will just have to cut down and I bet there will be some pensioners who have to stay in bed to keep warm.

How will it affect Australians I wonder and Simon in Singapore.   :'( :o